1. Gather all your hair together at the back of your head at roughly ear-level.
2. Fold the length over your hand and to the side forming a loop being careful not to twist it. (Yes, I have a natural blond streak in my hair in the under layer.)
3. Keeping hold of the loop, twirl your wrist (the hand holding the loop) one full turn clockwise and hold the loop against your head.
Your hair should look like this. ^
I had to start over after the last picture because my camera batteries died! Sorry for the incontinuity.
4. Twist the hair that is sticking out and fold it in half or up level with the top of the loop. If your hair is longer than mine, you may need to fold it again.
5. Slide this new loop to the right and under/behind the fold you made earlier. You can see the loop on the right. Pin along the side, tucking in any stray hairs as you go. I usually pin the loops in a couple of places as well.
Sometimes I slide some of the “fold” hair up to cover more of the loops. You can pin flowers, a barret, or decorative pins into the fold for a special occasion.